Monday, April 6, 2015

Frogs and LOTS of FREEBIES!

Hi! I'm Carolyn from Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together. I'm ready for spring  and ready for FROGS!  Today I'd like to share some favorite frog books and activities with you- plus some great TPT freebies that I've found!

Here are some of my favorite frog books:


This is my newest frog story acquisition, and I love it!

Here is a description from Amazon and a book trailer!

Fans of Mo Willems’s Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! and Jon Klassen’s I Want My Hat Back will love meeting this willful young frog with a serious identity crisis. Frog wants to be anything but a slimy, wet frog. A cat, perhaps. Or a rabbit. An owl? But when a hungry wolf arrives—a wolf who HATES eating frogs—our hero decides that maybe being himself isn’t so bad after all. In this very silly story with a sly message, told in hilarious dialogue between a feisty young frog and his heard-it-all-before father, young readers will identify with little Frog’s desire to be something different, while laughing along at his stubborn yet endearing schemes to prove himself right.

And some pictures!



This book lends itself to so many writing activities: Why didn't Frog want to be a frog? Of all the animals Frog wanted to be, what one might you want to be and why? Would you want to be a frog? Why? and on and on...
We just finished writing our How To books and are beginning our Informational Writing. Dan Colquhoun (Rocking Dan Teaching Man) is teaching 4th grade this year. His class wrote a "How To" song about making a paper frog. I thought it would be so much fun for my kids to follow the directions and make their own! They loved it.



The first time through, we listened and danced. As the children made their frogs, I stopped the song as we completed each step. When we were done, we listened again (and danced with our new frog friends!)

This was so wonderful for my class because they got to see "How To" in action!

Many thanks to Dan and his class for the great song and activity!






SO much personality!

Of COURSE a favorite song we always have is Debbie Clement's Pollywog! (This is on my free Frog and Toad Prezi that you can get below!)




Here is another cute song for the life cycle of a frog by Harry Kindergarten. (It's on my Prezi, too.)


And you just HAVE to dance to this one... You HAVE to.  It is one of our all time favorite brain breaks!



I adore the Frog and Toad books, too. These books are just right for K-1st grade read alouds, because they transition from the primary picture books to more text, but yet have a simple enough story for the children to love- sprinkled with some humor that the children actually get. The children seem to love the relationship between Frog and Toad, too, which is fun because they want to see what the next adventure will be with these two!



I posted all about ideas to go with Frog and Toad are Friends HERE.  I shared  the ideas and activities that I use for each story in the book- LOTS of ideas.


I posted the ideas I use for Frog and Toad Together HERE. Again, I shared ideas and activities that I use for each story!



I updated my Frog and Toad Prezi to be sure it included all of the videos from these book. I update my Prezis all the time because new videos and links are available all the time. It's FREE at my TPT store if you would like it. It includes the videos to go with the book, games and activities, a short biography of Arnold Lobel, as well as lots of links to help teach the science of frogs and toads.
Just click on the picture below if you would like a copy!


I also found some really wonderful TPT freebies about frogs to share with you.  



It's always fun to have lots of choices of activities to pick and choose from.  Some years you may be in the mood for one thing, and then the next year you might decided to try something else.  That's what makes our jobs so much fun. These are some of my favorites. Here we go!

Look at this cute Lily Pad Cutting pre-writing activity from Oodles of Fun. This would make a great center even now for lots of my students, just to practice cutting!

Lily Pad Cutting (prewriting activity)
This is a fun Frog Long and Short Vowel Sort by Differentiation Station Creations.
FREE!! Frog and Toad: Sort Long and Short Vowel Words

This Frog Resource Unit (Over 140 Pages!) by The Notebooking Nook is amazing!
FREE Frogs Resource Unit and Notebooking Pages *Over 140 Pages*


Little Miss Kindergarten has a great Frog Freebie!

Frog Freebies!

Amy Maendel shared this Frog Lifecycle Freebie.

Frog Life Cycle in English

Nicole Hernandez shared these sequencing cards at her store.  They're so bright and happy!
Life Cycle of a Frog Freebie
This Frog Life Cycles Booklet from Carrie Manchester is cute. 

Frog Life Cycle booklets

Or this Life Cycle of a Frog Emergent Reader by Crystal McGinnis...
FREE Life Cycle of a Frog Emergent Reader

TeachEZY shared this Frog Folding Life Cycle Activity .  It's a cute, quick activity to help the children remember the stages of a frog's life cycle.
Frog folding Life Cycle Activity

Or you can make some puppets with these Frog Life Cycle Puppet Sticks from Preschool Printable.
Frog Life Cycle Puppet Sticks

This Frog Nomenclature Book by Montessori Print Shop has cards to explain all of the parts of a frog.
Frog Nomenclature Book

Lora Webster shared this cute I Can Write About Frogs Book for the children to make after they learn about frogs.

I Can Write About Frogs!

My kids are going to LOVE this I Spy with My Frog's Eye CVC Freebie that Marsha McGuire shared at her TPT store.  I can't wait to use it.  They find the tiny hidden words with a magnifying glass.
An I Spy With My Frog's Eye CVC Freebie
These Frog in the Bog Letter Sound Sorting Cards by Teaching Preschoolers focus on  sounds F,L, and P. 

Frog in the Bog Letter Sound Sorting Cards
I like this Lily Pad Hop Fry Sight Word Game from Klever Kiddos.  There's a lot you could do with this. 
Lily Pad Hop Fry Sight Word Game {FREEBIE}

Amy Kearns shared this Dolch Sight Word Leap Frog Game at her TPT store.
Dolch Sight Word Leap Frog!



This Big and Little Frogs Number Dice Game by NJF  would make a great independent math center!
Big and Little Frogs Number Dice Game
This Frog Ordinal Number Activity by Amy Carver is a great assessment to see if your students know ordinal numbers.
Frog Ordinal Numbers
While you're checking, you can use this Frog Count and Write Number Assessment from Kindergarten Craftiness.
Frog Count and Write Assessment

Eye Popping Fun Resources has a fun Smallest to Largest activity that would make a great center.
smallest to largest


Kindergarten Craftiness shared this Frog on a Log Missing Number Practice activity.

Frogs on a Log Missing Number Practice
Have fun hopping into spring! And don't forget another great frog reminder that I always love...




3 comments:

  1. Will definitely share coz, well, Mr. Froggy and all. Here is a link to "The Wide-mouthed Bullfrog" to add to your collection. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbAfaNWA9ds

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Maryann! That looks adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear from you! Please feel free to leave a comment below....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...